Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Fire Season Begins

Unfortunately we had to deal with fire season early and in our neighborhood. Yesterday we went to lunch and to run a few last minute errands before school starts. Matt called on his way home for lunch and said "there is smoke coming from behind our house!" Of course I panick a little bit because I am 15 minutes away and not sure what to expect. Paige had a piano practice so we headed toward home and saw the smoke rising, but dropped her off a few exits before ours. Matt kept telling me it looked okay and we didn't get evacuated, but it came too close for comfort. I took the freeway home, but had a hard time getting to our house with roads closed down, and the fire was right up to the freeway by then. We watched out our back gate as a small patch of fire burned on the hill by our house, but within half an hour the firemen were up there with a chainsaw and knocking it out. Exciting last day of Summer!!

7 comments:

Susan said...

What a scarey ride home, not knowing what to expect. That should do it for fire in your immediate neighborhood for the fire season! Thanks for the pictures which gave us a really good idea of what was happening. Glad it wasn't the first day of school.

Scatcat said...

uggg!!!! I was freakin out when you called! Glad that you're house is still standing and that you had an exciting day hehe

Carrie said...

Great Pictures! I'm glad it got undercontrol before it got any closer. Very scary.

Kendra said...

Yikes!! I'd say that's one of the bummers about living in So. Cal. but we had a good one here a couple of days ago in Draper on the hill. Unfortunately all the smoke and ash blew out way. I hope they stay away from you from now on!

Michele said...

I think you deserve a nice long weekend vacation with good friends after all that stress!! Glad that everyone is fine. See ya soon!!!!

Aimee Hardy said...

Wow - I'm so glad it didn't get any closer to your house. That is scary. At least you got some good photos though.

Karyn said...

I can't believe how many fires come so close. I am glad it wasn't your house though. Nice pic.'s!